Saturday, November 24, 2007

No longer a young buck

I know i haven't posted for a long time, and i really will try to do better.  But i wanted to make a short post to fill everyone in on  the weekend festivities.  So thanksgiving was a blast!!! We had the turkey and all the fixin's (i used that word like ten times on thursday).  My mom did a fantastic job and i am grateful for her hard work.  But thats not what i want to write about.  
For the first time in Rodriguez Thanksgiving history we all got up and ran a turkey trot.  Not the Dana Point one that is so famous, but our own originally crafted Rodriguez Turkey tort.  Now i swam and played water polo in high school and hate, hate , hate running.  So it was to my surprise that i got first in the race.  In all fairness my competition, Curt and Todd, were running with baby strollers.  I ran three miles in 26 min.  Not that great for all you  Prefontaines out there but it was excellent for me.  After The run we then divided up for the world famous Rodriguez Turkey Bowl.  This is the staple and highlight of our thanksgiving.  We are probably some of the most competitive people alive and when you pit us against each other it can get ugly.  This year didn't get that bad at all.  There were a couple of shady calls that went both ways but for the most part it was a pretty enjoyable game.  My team won of course and are now on a 2 year winning streak.  
Now to the point of me sharing all of this useless information you probably all don't care about.  After playing football and running 3 miles my body has had enough.  I cant do simple functions with my body without every muscle contracting in pain.  Sitting down is a chore and when i walk i look like i just got off a bull that skewered me in the butt.  I am not in the shape i use to be in and i don't think i ever will be.  My body is really not happy with the way i treated it the last few days and it is letting me know.  While i am convinced it was the run that really did me in, i still feel as though the good old days of being a young buck, the days of throwing my body around in sports and activities, are gone.  But don't ever count me out, because Im always in for a good competitive game.                
  
No Exaggeration of how i am walking right now 

5 comments:

sarah marie. said...

welcome to my world. after sitting with my legs crossed i can barely walk. it's not easy. and my name is spelled with an h.

g.lock said...

dude, i'm lately having a tough time getting out of my car.. i now like make this groan.

Aubrey Messick said...

Thanks for calling me back you little booger.

Melly Mel said...

Did you run the Dana Point Turkey Trot? I didn't see any Rodriquezsss but I ran the other race. Glad you had a good time with family! Just do a yoga sesh and you'll be good as new.

Aubrey Messick said...

I take back my previous comment. Go SC!